slbblogo

slbblogo

Monday, May 19, 2008

Sunday Riding

In accordance with our typical training schedule (short rides several times during the week, and a long ride Sunday morning) we rode about 50 miles this last Sunday. It was a wicked good ride! The weather was fine, the roads were (mostly) clear, we were cruisin' at a good pace the whole time and the awesomism* was high.

Some people may ask, why on earth would someone want to ride their bike 50 miles? And that's a very good question. It is certainly not an easy feat- it takes endurance and strength and a butt that is impervious to pain. But that's sort of what we do. The rides are only going to get longer because we're getting ready of the epic rides of the summer. On the schedule:


Little Red Riding Hood - a Women only ride the first weekend in June. I'm riding it with my Mom and Suzanne (a co-worker/friend of Mom's; she does quite a lot of riding with us). There are several options for distance, ranging from 35 to 104 miles. I'm planning on doing at least 62... maybe will do 80. Obviously, Mark is not a woman so he won't be doing this ride. His plan is to go with us to the starting point, in Logan, and ride back to Salt Lake... about a 100 mile haul. Yeah, he's a bit of a show off. Last year when he tried this though he had 3 flat tires in Brigham and only made it to Kaysville.

MS 150 - 150 miles over two days (or, if we really want to we could do 175) to raise money for The National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Speaking of that... I still am in desperate need of donations! If you have some extra money you would like to donate to a worthy cause, please help a gal out by donating a bit. I need $125 more. Any little bit will help. Please.

Skinny Tire Moab Century - 100 miles in beautiful Moab. I'm really excited about this one! It's a beautiful area and it'll be a nicely challenging ride. There are a bunch of hills which are note exactly my forte.

So, you see why we need to be riding at least 50 miles? If nothing else, our bums need to get used to being on a bike seat for hours and hours.

... of course, now I guess you might be asking "why on earth would anyone want to ride 100+ miles?" The answer to that is simple: It's really fun!



*awesomism: (n) action, process, and/or practice of being awesome

3 comments:

veganaron said...

I rode back from a friends house the other day and rode past some cows and farm land. It reminded me of our training rides last summer.

Enjoy your rides this summer, and I wish I was doin' at least one with ya'll.

Cassie the Great said...

Wish you were too. You should probably come down in September for the Moab ride.

veganaron said...

I would save for the fact school starts then and I have to work Fall Housing Check In. :(