slbblogo

slbblogo

Sunday, May 25, 2008

First Century of the Season

On June 7th, as Cassie and Marsha wind their way around Logan, I'll be riding back to Salt Lake City. It will be close to 100 miles. I have done a few of these solo, unsupported centuries before, and it's just important to remember to drink lots of fluids (i go through a water bottle about every 20 miles) and to break for food ocassionally. It will take me somewhere around seven hours to complete, if I don't get any flats.

The tricky part this year has been getting miles in on our Sunday rides. Today's was cut short because Cassie busted a spoke about 38 miles in the ride. I managed to get in 50 miles by going back to the car so I could pick her up, but I should have gone 60! However, I rode 20-some miles yesterday, so maybe that counts

See Map

Speaking of yesterday,Bikers Edge sponsored a bike demo at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. I tried out a $3500 carbon fiber Cannondale. Totally cool! Weighed about five pounds. They will be doing another one in three weeks (while I'm riding back from Logan) and all you need to bring is a picture ID and pedals and they'll let you take out a bike for a couple of hours. Sweet deal!

1 comment:

veganaron said...

Sounds like you had fun on a bike that cost almost as much as my tuition for a quarter, Mark. SWEET!!!!